Thursday, 13 March 2014

March 13th , Hamas Fires 60 Rockets into Zion


In response to the massive rocket attack that hit Israel earlier this evening, IAF targeted 29 terror sites in the Gaza Strip. Direct hits were confirmed.
 13th March 2014. In today's attack 41 rockets struck in Israel, 5 hit populated areas and 3 were intercepted by the iron dome defense system. This is the most substantial rocket attack from the Gaza Strip since Operation Pillar of Defense in November 2012.
Since the start of 2014, Gaza terrorists have fired more than 80 rockets at Israel.
Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner, IDF Spokesman: “This retaliation was precise and prompt. We targeted the infrastructure that serves the terrorists while they train, plan and implement their hideous attacks. They will not be permitted to conspire in the safety of their terrorist temples”.
Palestinian Islamic Jihad is behind the rocket attack. However, Hamas is responsible for all attacks emanating from the Gaza Strip. The IDF will do everything in its power to fight Gaza terrorism and protect the people of Israel.
Embedded image permalink

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Not American Stealth UAV, but Hamas gleaming over fallen Israeli drone in Gaza

 

Just Hours after the small Israeli Skylark UAV crashed in the Gaza Strip, Hamas proudly showcases pictures of its captured IDF intelligence aircraft.



Gaza-ruler Hamas released photos of the Israeli Skylark drone that crashed Tuesday morning in Gaza due to a technical malfunction.
Hamas militant holds up Israeli Skylark drone that crashed earlier Tuesday
Hamas militant holds up Israeli Skylark drone that crashed earlier Tuesday
It was reported by the Popular Resistance Committees that its men were the first to get their hands on the drone after its crash; however Hamas security official quickly reached them and forcefully took the UAV away.
The crash occurred Tuesday morning during a routine operational activity of the IDF’s Gaza division, about a kilometer west of the southern Gaza border fence. Preliminary investigation reveals that a technical failure led to the crash, but it is also examined whether a human error led to the event.
IDF's smallest operational aircraft
IDF’s smallest operational aircraft
The crashed drone is the smallest aircraft in the Israeli army service, and it is designed to accompany operational activities and has the ability to prevent foreign actors who have taken over it to abuse its capabilities.
About three hours after the drone’s crash, the Israeli Air Force struck a Palestinian terror cell that was firing mortar shells at IDF soldiers from the southern Gaza Strip.
The Islamic Jihad said three of its militants were killed in the strike after firing at an IDF force east of Rafah.
IDF infantry and engineering corps were doing routine military work in the area when they were hit with Palestinian fire, but none of the soldiers was hurt.
The two incidents are likely unrelated.


 

IDF attacks numerous terror targets in Gaza in response to rocket fire

Army hits 2 targets with artillery fire, 29 more in airstrike after Islamic Jihad fired dozens of rockets at cities and towns in southern Israel.
The IDF responded with force to a barrage of at least 60 rockets fired from the Gaza Strip at the Israeli south on Wednesday, striking at least seven terror targets from the air and with artillery fire.

Thirty-one terror targets have been hit in the north of the Strip and in its south - two in an IDF artillery strike and 29 more in an Israel Air Force strike later on in the evening. Palestinian sources said IAF planes hit two Islamic Jihad bases, one of them in Rafah. 
   

Residents in the Beit Hanoun area of Gaza said they saw an Israeli artillery strike hit a rocket launcher squad.

There were no immediate reports of casualties from the rocket fire, but a 57-year-old woman from Sderot was lightly injured while running to take cover. The Iron Dome missile-defense system intercepted at least three rockets over Sderot.

This was the heaviest barrage of rockets fired from the Strip since the 2012 Operation Pillar of Defense.

The rockets were fired from both the north of the Strip and its south. Most of the rockets fell in open fields, at least eight fell inside southern communities. The Eshkol Regional Council reported on at least 15 rockets that fell in its area, including one that fell inside one of the towns but did not explode.

Rocket that fell in Sderot (Photo: Mattan Tzuri)
Rocket that fell in Sderot (Photo: Mattan Tzuri)

Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said one rocket exploded near a gas station and another near a public library.

Related stories:

The Islamic Jihad's military wing claimed responsibility for the rocket fire, saying its a response to the death of three of their men, who were killed Tuesday in an IAF strike after firing mortar shells at IDF troops. Another Gaza militant group, the Popular Resistance Committees, said they fired several rockets as well.

"The Al-Quds Brigades responded to aggression by a salvo of rockets," a statement from the Islamic Jihad said.

"The Al-Quds Brigades will not break the truce (with Israel), but will retain the right to respond to the Zionist aggression at the right time and the right place," spokesman Abu Ahmad said.

The Islamic Jihad, that said it fired 90 rockets, took advantage of the stormy weather when the IDF's ability to identify and intercept rocket fire is lower.

Rocket that fell in Kfar Aza (Photo: Nili and Ze'ev Trechtman)
Rocket that fell in Kfar Aza (Photo: Nili and Ze'ev Trechtman)
 

Chief of Staff Benny Gantz, who is currently in the United States, was receiving constant updates from Deputy Chief of Staff Gadi Eizenkot.

'Code Red' sirens were heard in throughout the western Negev communities, including Sderot, Netivot and in the Shaar HaNegev and Sdot Negev Regional Councils.

Security forces were scanning the area for rockets, and the level of alert has been raised. Residents in the area were instructed to stay in their shelters and secure rooms.

Foreign Minister  Reoccupy Gaza

"It appears that a rocket salvo came in response to the preventative IAF strike yesterday. we will continue stopping attacks and hitting those who wish to harm us, and will act against them with full force," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wrote on Facebook shortly after the rockets barrage.

"The number of rockets fired from the Gaza Strip in the last year has been the lowest in a decade, but this is not enough for us. We will continue acting to ensure the security of the people of Israel both in the south and across the country," he added.

Speaking to Sderot Mayor Alon Davidi, Netanyahu promised to "strike terror as hard as demanded in order to restore calm to the south."
  
"I was helping deliver Purim treat baskets to IDF soldiers serving on the Gaza border when I heard about the rocket attack," Davidi told Ynet, standing where one of the rockets hit his city.

"We are counting on the IDF and the Israel government to know how to hit back at the terrorists who try to disrupt our daily lives with terrorism," he added.

Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman told Channel 2 there was "no other choice but to take over the Gaza Strip and cleaning house there."

"I don't think we can ignore such an attack, a salvo of 50 rockets. My views are known and clear. After Operations Cast Lead and Pillar of Defense, there is now no other choice but complete occupation of the Gaza Strip, and cleaning house there," he said.

"There are many terror hide outs and thousands of rockets in the Strip, and every day (terror organizations in Gaza) increase weapons smuggling and self-production of bombs, and this is why we need to put an end to it," Liberman added.

"The Islamic Jihad is sending a message to (British premier David) Cameron, who visited the Knesset today and gave a speech in favor of an agreement between us and the Palestinians - 'we are on the map, and we will stop any agreement between Israel and the Palestinians,'" Liberman asserted.

International condemnation

Britain, the United States, Australia and the UN all condemned the rocket attack.

"Let me (be) absolutely clear about these attacks from Gaza, we condemn them completely," said British premier David Cameron, who is currently visiting Israel.

"These attacks are completely indiscriminate aimed at civilian populations and that is a demonstration of how barbaric they are," Cameron added.

The US State Department also joined the condemnation, saying it is "reprehensible that dozens of rockets have been fired today alone."

"There is no justification for such attacks. We call for these terrorist attacks to cease immediately. Israel, like any nation, has a right to defend itself," State Department Spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon deplored "the severe escalation of violence" and urged both sides to exercise maximum restraint to prevent further escalation.

Australian Ambassador to Israel Dave Sharma joined the condemnation, saying on his Twitter page that "such violence reprehensible and without justification."